Friday, January 8, 2010

Artistic Endeavors

I've got 2 brothers with artistic talent up the ying yang.
Their artistic styles are actually like ying and yang.
Art is subjective, but artistic prowess runs in their genes.

My father earned his first award in art for a painting he did
called "Evening Chores" outside Spartan Mill in S.C.
but he never pursued a career in art, though he dabbled in it
over many years. I wish he had done more.
I was told that my mother also had artistic abilities.
Hell, maybe I've got the same genes lurking within,
but I didn't practice the craft my entire life as my brothers have.

The elder

My oldest brother Stan Turner resides in Las Cruces, New Mexico
and has been working as a graphic artist for too many years for me to count.
He's created designs for so many major companies it boggles my mind
(well, yes my mind is easily boggled, but pay that no never mind!)


I adore this painting he created of his lovely pit bull Heddy.
She was a loving and devoted family member for 11 years.
We all miss that pretty pooch.


Most recently I've seen his work for the Las Cruces
"Whole Enchilada Fiesta"
t-shirts and fiesta branding.
He also designed
High Desert Brewing Company's
new t-shirts and their website.
Stan has a knack for capturing puppy whimsy.
"Bloo & Earl" are a fine example of this.
For more about Stan's work and his freelance rates go here: Stan Turner

The younger

My youngest brother Sam Turner has a knack for hiding out,
being extremely difficult to track down,
and creating some wild and sick designs.
His claim to fame: "2008 NACCC champion of Foot Down"
Sam has been seen drinking from an artificial leg
riding a stuffed pink pony,
and being a cycle jerk all over the mile high city.

Here's Sam doing his infamous "Superman"

Last I heard he was working on some new art
and will have another gallery showing in Denver.
This may be one of my favorite works by Sam
although I do still have some early comic cats
he drew in 7th grade.



Sam spends most of his time on a bicycle, or sleeping.
It's a wonder he manages to get any work done,
but he did manage to create the "Fire up the Blades" cover,

and has done several poster and t-shirt designs for
Canadian metal heads 3 Inches of Blood.

Sam also creates designs for Never Summer
Snowboards, skateboards and apparel,
as well as his varying original designs with very limited print runs.
Sam and a couple of his buddies run
Denver's Track Shack @ 1338 Tremont.
The Plastisol Free For All is a yearly t-shirt design contest
run by Indy Ink.
Sam won the People's Choice Award for his overly sick
"Black 100" design in 2008.



I claim bragging rights.
Way to go bro's!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Speak your mind here: