Saturday, September 5, 2009

Tis the Season...

In El Paso there is one thing
to cause me to rejoice each year
more than any other thing.
The end of summer.
Don't get me wrong,
I enjoy the summers
with the incredible heat,
and sometimes torrential rains.
Hailstorms are always a special treat as well.

Festival season and UTEP football,
cooling breezes,
motorcycle riding weather,
my favorite fall fever in El Paso finally has arrived.
This time of year has always made me giddy.
I'm no spring fever chicken,
what with all the spring cleaning,
and the ugly windstorms here.
April is the cruelest month.
Give me autumn.

Yesterday I got a call from my brother.
You still going to the chile festival?
Sure, it's on the 26th.
No, it's tomorrow, it's always on Labor Day weekend.
Huh? I looked it up, it's on the 26th.
No, that's the Whole Enchilada Fiesta.
You mean the Hatch Chile Festival,
I thought that was in October...
Nope, tomorrow and Sunday.
Oh, gee, thanks bro, for calling me up at the last minute.
No, really, thanks for calling me.
Now, I won't have to miss it!

Today is the season opener for UTEP football.
My husband and I have already made plans
to check out the movie Inglorious Basterds,
and then to the Sun Bowl for some Miner Football.
Hatch will have to wait until tomorrow,
but rest assured,
I'll be getting my fill of Chile Verde and beer.

I'll be back in a few hours
and attempt to critique the movie,
which I am sure I will thoroughly enjoy.

What's better than rednecks and Nazis
trapped in Tarantino land?
I'd venture a guess...
NOTHING!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Speak your mind here: