Thursday, June 24, 2010

Pepe the Bad One

Just the other day I was at the thrift store and I ran across this book:
Pepe the Bad One.




I had to have it. I love the illustrations by H. Tom Hall but more importantly, it was just such a strong reminder of what's been going on around El paso lately, and I can't help but think of that kid who was shot by Border Patrol earlier this month. Pepe the bad one...well I think that rock throwing boy was Sergio the bad one, although the media is gonna allow people to try to paint him as a saint.

I haven't read the story yet, but I'm sure we will find out that Pepe ain't so bad after all. I can't help but wonder if Pepe is going to throw rocks or run into trouble with the law, or have a fight with gringos in this book. It was published in 1966, and the authors Frank and Agnes Johnston Dazey lived many years in Mexico. It states on the flap of the dust jacket that these authors wrote many screenplays and wrote more than half of the Mickey Rooney Andy Hardy series. I'll bet they spin a great yarn.

Yeah, I'm pre-judgung this thing, but I'll be sure to let you know just how bad Pepe turns out to be.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Speak your mind here: