Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Recess Monkeys?




The other day I got a note from CoolArrow Steve of The Xit Wounds.
He was telling me about an SCTV episode where John Candy plays drums in a band called Recess Monkeys (SCTV, Second City Television Network Volume 3). Rick Moranis, Eugene Levy and John Candy make up this power trio of Recess Monkeys, and sing the Chilliwack hit "My Girl (Gone Gone Gone)." It's so awful, I find it hilarious. Just looking at John Candy's 'fro cracks me up. I guess it reminds me of what happens when my husband and I get together to play music. While Brett is a very talented player on guitar and bass, I realize I'm merely a hack who hates to practice. In truth, I'm lazy, and it shows. My attempt to deter scrutiny by making crazy faces, giving myself beer baptismals, or hitting myself over the head with a beer can or a microphone (if anyone has been dumb enough to put a mic in front of me) is usually quite successful.

One of Brett's favorite shows growing up was Fernwood 2Night. We keep hoping they'll release the episodes on DVD. Many of the best episode clips can be found on YouTube.

The outrageous musical stylings of Happy Kyne and the MirthMakers are a sight to behold. Martin Mull and Fred Willard had some great comedy there, and were a perfect match to the Mary Hartman/Mary Hartman ethos. Total silliness. I sort of lost interest in the show when it morphed into America 2-Night. It turns out that the song Skateboard Angel had hit Brett so hard between the ears, he had to appropriate it and crank it up to match his own punk stylings.


RIP Farrah aka skateboarding angel

I always thought Skateboarding Angel was his original, until he told me where he got the idea. No wonder it's such a great song. Frank Devol and Tommy Tedesco wrote it.

While searching for our elusive tocayo Recess Monkey, I came across a wonderful site of Fake Bands

and a reference to the book Rocklopedia Fakebandica by T. Mike Childs. All your favorite, almost ready for prime-time bands can be found here. I wholeheartedly agree with this sentiment:
"...one of the most refreshing online wastes of time since the birth of the Web..." -- Information Week.



While there are a plethora of fake bands who never really amounted to anything, there are a few who actually had talent, and commercial success. Spinal Tap (...but these go to eleven) and The Blues Brothers

(rubber biscuit?) are the first to come to mind.
Something about the comical talents of SCTV and Saturday Night Live alumni when mixed with their musical talents creates magic. I was watching an episode of Conan O'Brien a few weeks ago, and Eddie Murphy was talking about how James Brown seriously wanted Murphy to play him in a biopic based on his James Brown Celebrity Hot Tub antics. Maybe Eddie should have taken that bait. I miss the old Eddie Murphy irreverence and political incorrectness.

This man could seriously make me laugh until I cried.

Another amazing musician is Chevy Chase. He opted out of continuing to play drums with Donald Fagan and Walter Becker (Steely Dan) to pursue other interests. How is it that so many of these talented actors and comedians are also well-rounded musicians? It boggles the mind. In all honesty, some of them are better musicians than anything else they pursue.

I'm amazed at how well Steve Martin can play that banjo of his.

What happens when Spinal Tap mellows out? A Mighty Wind ensues. While this movie was not necessarily a comedic gem, it's soundtrack certainly is. In 2004 Eugene Levy wins the Grammy for A Mighty Wind Best Song written for a motion picture, television or other visual media. I'll never forget seeing the Folksmen perform Blood on the Coals on MadTV, and seeing Harry Shearer as Mark Shubb in drag (maybe on Letterman?). My first thoughts were WTF? and I went out to rent the movie the next day. Gotta give props to the ingenuity, and brilliance of it all.

Have you ever heard of the The Queenhaters? I never saw this episode of SCTV. Yep, that's John Candy in that picture above. Check out the youtube video featuring Martin Short's snotty vocals in this quintessential punk parody.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Speak your mind here: